Saturday, November 5, 2011

Art of Flowers @ Garfield Park Conservatory

Since the hailstorm in June this year that destroyed the roof of the fern room in the Garfield Park Conservatory (http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/), and by responding to their pledge for financial help, I realized to have left my visits to the conservatory "for later" and seldom I have made myself go all the way South to visit it. So when I received an invitation for the invitation of their art exhibit "Blossom II. Art of Flowers", I immediately made my decision to attend it,which is a surprise to me as I do not tend to be inclined to attend shows of this kind.

What I saw was an exquisite display of craftmanship in every painting exhibited. The artist's soul seemed to be pouring out of the flowers with the choice of color like the red in "Spring" by Brazilian artist Nilton Mendonca, or by their title like in Anna Killian's "Fragility of Home". Unfortunately, the entrance to the conservatory does not make for a good exhibit space, in my opinion; some of the paintings are placed so high up that it is not possible read the tag with the painting information and it does not make justice to the paintings viewing.

Besides viewing the exhibit, you can take a walk through the plants room as a bonus and real treat!! It is worth a trip.  The show runs till December 31st, 2011. You can view the work in their online catalogue here: http://blossomartcompetition.com/Catalog2.html


No comments:

Post a Comment