Monday, October 16, 2017

Star Collision

I read this morning on CNN that two neutron stars "in a nearby galaxy have been observed engaging in a spiral death dance..." According to the video this is an "unprecedented discovery" that will take us into a "new era of astronomy" (http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/world/neutron-star-collision-gravitational-waves-light/index.html)




I don't know if I really grasp the idea of a "new era" in the astronomy field, but reading about it and seeing the image of these two stars' collision brought to mind a mandala drawing I made back in the early 90s, that I titled:
"Strong Energies Coming Together"

The similarities between the star collision and my mandala are in that, both are expression of intense, strong energies forming a mandala shape.

We have seen this circular shape (mandala) in art and religion since ancient times to the present. Mandala has been a symbol of wholeness, integration of energies, and meditation.
In Sanskrit, mandala means circle and center. Traditionally, the circle has been a symbol of the cosmos.

So, when reading about this collision of the stars, I do think of two strong energies becoming integrated into one and in doing so, it seems they create a new cosmos.

Isn't that what happens in our own process of growth, development, and self-knowledge?...


No comments:

Post a Comment