Monday, July 3, 2017

And talking about "daring greatly"....

Back in 2006 I did a series of oil pastel drawings on paper around the topic of vulnerability

Vulnerability, BL. 2006 (c)
$200
and lately the images of those drawings began to fill my mind...
What means to be vulnerable in times of external and internal stress?... I look up the meaning of the word "vulnerability is the quality or state of being exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally""open to moral attack, criticism" "capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt" "a frame within which defensive measures are diminished, compromised or lacking" and quoting Dr. Brene Brown vulnerability "is basically uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure" (https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2013/04/21/brene-brown-how-vulnerability-can-make-our-lives-better/#16953a1c36c7)

Vulnerability is a space that all of us have experience with -some more than others.

Dr. Brene Brown has researched the topic of vulnerability and actually wrote a book about it
"Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transform the Way We Live,Love, Parent, and Lead", and has giving TED talks about it(https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability)
which is worth to listen to, in my opinion.

The question for me is how do I maintain myself vulnerable in times of chaos like the times we are currently living in the US and the world at large?... can we have the courage to show up and being seen?... do we have the courage to say "I need help" "I need you"...?

Capitalism imprint in us the importance of individualism "me for me and me against you" type of attitude toward the other. The problem with this stand is that leaves us half empty, isolated, fostering grandiosity and experiencing "narcissistic wounds" when finding out that others do not think we are so great. In my opinion, this is what has been happening in USA since 2001...

So, in a way out of chaos healing can take place as it provides us with the soil to have the courage of ask for help... or ...not?...













No comments:

Post a Comment