Sunday, September 18, 2016

FLYING VEIL

Flying Veil. Oil on Canvas, 11" x 14". (c)2016
$650
This painting is part of "Memories on Canvas", an on going series that it could read as a visual book. It compiles some memories from my personal story  that have been filed away in one of my imagination's drawers.
In this painting we see a woman looking at something outside the visual field of the viewer or she simply might be in an act of silent meditation. This state seems to prevent her from noticing that her veil, that wrapped her head and face, is flying away.

This happened to my mother while at church one spring Sunday late morning. I was few row behind my parents listening to a very boring preacher, one of those highly conservative evangelical preachers that had arrived to Buenos Aires with the intention to "teach" the Mennonites, how to behave and to be in the world. A kind of "666 pig" as I think of him.... My mind was in disgust and following a reverie of social thoughts when unexpectedly my mother's veil was caught by the breeze coming from an open door few feet in front of her.


Immediately my attention was pulled toward it. It was a nice view from where I was sitting. The silk veil contorted by the soft touch of a spring breeze; moving through patches of bright sunlight toward the ceiling. My mother did not notice. She was totally self-absorbed.




No comments:

Post a Comment